# BACBI Academic Newsletter, Nr 29 (November 2017): click here!
|# BACBI Cultural Newsletter, Nr 25 (September 2017): click here!
- "What is BDS?" (BDS Movement): click here!
Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) is a Palestinian-led movement for freedom, justice and equality. BDS upholds the simple principle that Palestinians are entitled to the same rights as the rest of humanity.
- "Boycot Israël (BDS), een morele plicht" (BACBI-Dossier Nr 3, pdf, 55 blz.): click here!
Het recente rapport van een VN Commissie over de behandeling van het Palestijnse volk door de Israëlische Staat concludeert dat “het beschikbare bewijsmateriaal buiten iedere redelijke twijfel aantoont dat Israël zich schuldig maakt aan... de misdaad van apartheid”. Civiele samenleving en burgers hebben als “morele plicht” er ook bij middel van boycot (BDS) toe bij te dragen dat een einde wordt gesteld aan dat Israëlische apartheidsregime.
- "Le boycott d'Israël (BDS), un devoir moral" (BACBI-Dossier Nr 3, trad. J.-M. Flémal, pdf, 45p.): click here!
Un rapport récent d'une commission des Nations unies sur la façon dont Israël traite le peuple palestinien conclut que « le matériel de preuves disponible prouve au-delà de tout doute raisonnable qu'Israël se rend coupable (...) du crime d'apartheid ».
- "Boycott Israel (BDS), A Moral Duty": Part 1: "Apartheid" (BACBI-Dossier N° 3, Part 1, pdf, 60p.): click here!
Available evidence establishes beyond a reasonable doubt that Israel is guilty of policies and practices that constitute the crime of apartheid as legally defined in instruments of international law.
- The case for an academic boycott of Israel (BDS Movement): click here!
For decades, Israeli universities have played a key role in planning, implementing and justifying Israel’s occupation and apartheid policies, while maintaining a uniquely close relationship with the Israeli military...
- The case for a cultural boycott of Israel (BDS Movement): click here!
Israeli government officials have summed up how Israel instrumentalizes culture to cover up its grave violations of international law. "We are seeing culture as a hasbara [propaganda] tool of the first rank,” one official admitted, “and I do not differentiate between hasbara and culture."...
- "Chomsky clarifies position on the cultural boycott of Israel" (BDS Movement, Oct 12, 2017): click here!
Prof. Noam Chomsky makes the essential point: the presence of international artists in Israel is used by the government to cover up its occupation and human rights abuses.
(Calls to) Action:
- "Help us say No! No New Settlement Units in Hebron!" (Youth Against Settlements): click here to endorse!
Israel has approved 31 new settlement units to be built on Shuhada Street in Hebron. If construction goes through, they will be the first new units in Hebron in 15 years. They will increase the settler population by 20 per cent.
- "Norman G. Finkelstein must walk free! Sign the Petition!" (change.org): click here to endorse!
Finkelstein, a scholar of world renown (forthcoming: "Gaza: An Inquest into its Martyrdom"), has been subjected to police brutality and is threatened with a lengthy jail sentence because of having defended a former student.
- Steun het burgerinitiatief om Gent uit te roepen tot "Stad, Vrij van Israëlische Apartheid"! (Gents ActiePlatform Palestina, Sept 4): click here!
- Defense for Children International - Palestine: "End collective punishment of Gaza’s children", (DCI-P): <
- "Justice for Palestine now – end EUROPEAN complicity! A call from organizations throughout Europe" (ECCP, Feb 7, 2017): click here!
Analysis & Current Affairs:
- "Israel must face new international legal push to end illegal occupation of Palestine, UN expert says" (UN Human Rights, Oct 26): click here!
“This is the longest-lasting military occupation in the modern world, and shows no signs of ending,” said Michael Lynk, the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territory. “Israel’s role as occupier in the Palestinian Territory – the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and Gaza – has crossed a red line into illegality,” the Special Rapporteur said, presenting a report on Israel’s conduct to the UN General Assembly in New York.
- 100 years since the Balfour Declaration, 50 years into the Israeli occupation. Will Europe address Israeli Colonialism and Apartheid? The Case of Palestinian Jerusalem (A fact sheet of the ECCP and Mundubat, October 2017, pdf, 6p.): click here!
TIsrael’s current rule over the Palestinian people has all the features characteristic of colonialism and apartheid as defined in international law.
- Dan FREEMAN-MALOY: "Balfour at 100: A legacy of racism and propaganda" (Mondoweiss, Oct 16): click here!
The worsening crisis in Palestine reflects more than a local record of colonial crimes, severe as these have been. Responsibility for it is global. Arundhati Roy was right to describe the Palestine tragedy as one of "imperial Britain's festering, blood-drenched gifts to the modern world."
- Uri AVNERY: "The Terrible Problem" (Gush Shalom - Israeli Peace Bloc, Oct 14): click here!
Any future peace treaty between the state of Israel and the State of Palestine will have to include a paragraph saying that Israel affirms in principle the Right of Return of the Palestinian refugees and their descendents.
- Inès ABDEL RAZEK: "The 13 questions on life in Palestine that non-Palestinians always ask me" (Mondoweiss, Oct 11): a target="_blank" href="mondoweiss.net/2017/10/questions-palestine-palestinians/">click here!
Al-Shabaka's Inès Abdel Razek has been asked the same questions about her homeland so many times that she decided to write a simple document to answer them.
- Moshé MACHOVER: "Anti-Zionism does not equal anti-Semitism" (Labour Party Marxists, Sept 21): click here!
The whole campaign of equating opposition to Zionism with anti-Semitism has, in fact, been carefully orchestrated with the help of the Israeli government and the far right in the United States.
- "Palestine and the Israeli Occupation, Issue No. 1: Israeli Practices towards the Palestinian People and the Question of Apartheid" (UN Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia), Beirut 2017, 74p., removed but saved on bacbi): click here! La traduction française (AURDIP, 62p.): cliquez ici!
The authors of this report, examining whether Israel has established an apartheid regime that oppresses and dominates the Palestinian people as a whole, fully appreciate the sensitivity of the question. Even broaching the issue has been denounced by spokespersons of the Israeli Government and many of its supporters as anti-Semitism in a new guise.
- "Palestine and the Israeli Occupation, Issue No. 1: Israeli Practices towards the Palestinian People and the Question of Apartheid, Executive Summary" (UN-ESCWA, 2017): click here!
"This report concludes that Israel has established an apartheid regime that dominates the Palestinian people as a whole. Aware of the seriousness of this allegation, the authors of the report conclude that available evidence establishes beyond a reasonable doubt that Israel is guilty of policies and practices that constitute the crime of apartheid as legally defined in instruments of international law".
- BACBI-Dossier N° 3 (EN): "Boycott Israel (BDS), A Moral Duty", Part 1: "Apartheid" (Oct 31, 2017, pdf, 59 p.): click here!
- BACBI-Dossier Nr 3 (NL): "Boycot Israël (BDS), een morele plicht" (12 mei 2017, pdf, 55 blz.): klik hier!
- BACBI-Dossier Nr 3 (FR):"Le boycott d'Israël (BDS), un devoir moral" (traduction par J.-M. Flémal, 10 mai, 2017, pdf, 45p.): cliquez ici!
- Letter to Ms. Federica Mogherini and Mr. Carlos Moedas (March 8, 2017): click here! Also on AURDIP, 10 mars: cliquez ici! Trad. française: cliquez ici!. Nederlandse vertaling: klik hier!
- BACBI-Dossier Nr 2 (EN): "The "LAW-TRAIN" Project: Why A Partnership With The Israeli Police Is Indefensible" (March 8, 2017, pdf, 50p.): click here!
- BACBI-Dossier Nr 2 (FR): "Le projet "LAW-TRAIN": Un partenariat avec la police israélienne est indéfendable" (15 février 2017, pdf, 50p.): klik hier!
- BACBI-Dossier Nr 2 (NL): "Het “LAW-TRAIN” Project: Waarom een partnership met de Israëlische politie onverdedigbaar is" (17 maart 2017, pdf, 54p.): klik hier!
- BACBI-Dossier Nr 1: "Universiteit en Kolonialisme. Bedenkingen bij partnerships met Israël" (Herman De Ley, update 4 maart 2017, pdf, 97 p.): klik hier!
- Katarzyna Lemanska: "Les liens entre la Belgique et l'occupation israélienne" (Étude, avril 2014; mise à jour en août 2014, pdf, 89p.): klik hier!
- Uri Yacobi Keller: "Academic Boycott of Israel and the Complicity of Israeli Academic Institutions in Occupation of Palestinian Territories" (in: The Economy of the Occupation, A Socioeconomic Bulletin, No 23, October 2009, The Alternative Information Center), pdf, 64pp.: click here!
The Coordinating Committee:
- Prof. Marie-Christine Closon (UCLouvain), Prof. Patrick Deboosere (VUBrussel), Dr. Pascal Debruyne (UGent), Prof. Lieven De Cauter (KULeuven), Em.Prof. Herman De Ley (UGent), Lieve Franssen (dirigent Brussels Brecht-Eislerkoor), Carl Gydé (director CAMPO), Prof. Perrine Humblet (ULBruxelles), Prof. Marc Jacquemain (ULiège), Raven Ruëll (metteur en scène).
Voor het archief klik hier!
- *Amira HASS: "On the Margins of the Murder”, (Haaretz, Nov 12, 2017): click here!
Mohammed Musa would not have been shot while giving his sister a ride if it weren’t for the soldiers sent to guard an illegal outpost.
- "Israeli forces detain 11 Palestinians, including 4 minors, in overnight raids" (Ma'an, March 29, 2017).
- Amira HASS: "Israeli Settlers Kill a Sheep in Latest Escalation in Jordan Valley, Palestinians Say" (Haaretz, Feb 18, 2017).
- "Israel aims to ‘Judaize’ historical Bethlehem village" (Middle East Monitor, Jan 13, 2017).
- Nasouh NAZZAL: "Israel’s pesticide war on Gazan farmers" (Gulf News Palestine, Dec 26, 2016).
- Emily MULDER: "Israeli guard: 'Go from this land or I will kill you'" (Al Jazeera, Dec 26, 2016).
- "A six-year-old Palestinian girl killed after being run over by Israeli settler" (Middle East Children Alliance, 2016).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "In Some of the Israeli Army's Raids, Leaving Empty-handed Is Not an Option" (Haaretz, Aug 27, 2016).
- "Israeli settlers attack Palestinian girl in Ramallah, stab and kill her sheep" (Ma'an, Aug 5, 2016).
- "Un enfant palestinien [de 12 ans] tué par des soldats israéliens" (Libération, 19 juillet 2016).
- Kit O'CONNELL: "Israel Cutting Palestinians Off From Their Own Water Supply" (MintPress News, June 30, 2016).
- "Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Child Near Ramallah" (IMEMC, June 21, 2016).
- Edo KONRAD: "Tel Aviv mayor says the occupation is a cause of Palestinian terror" (+972, June 9, 2016).
- "After being shot three days ago by IOF, Palestinian youth dies from injuries" (Palestinian Information Center, June 6, 2016).
- Palestine PMO: Israel’s destruction of Palestinian water infrastructure is atrocious (Palestine News Network, May 26, 2016).
- Again, settlers burn Palestinian farms in West Bank (Days of Palestine, May 16, 2016).
- Michal ZAK: "Third intifada, terror wave, the 'situation': Just don't mention the 'O' word to Israelis" (Middle East Eye, March 13, 2016).
- Jon QUEALLY: "Brother and Sister, Children Aged 10 and 6, Killed by Israeli Bombing in Gaza" (Common Dreams, March 13, 2016).
- Jonathan COOK: "Aid subversion report makes for shocking reading" (The National, March 7, 2016).
- "Palestijns meisje van 13 geëxecuteerd" (alexandrina.nl, 23 jan, 2016).
- "UN decries Abu Nuwar demolitions, calls for immediate end to planned transfers" (Medical Aid for Palestinians, MAP, Jan 20, 2016).
- Julie PUTSEYS: "Palestijnse empowerment op Israëlische scholen." Geen gelijke kansen zonder evenwaardig onderwijs. Zo denkt de Arabisch-Israëlische professor Dalia Fadila er alleszins over. (MO*, 10 Jan 2016).
- Uri SAVIR: "Why solving Israel-Palestine conflict is still key for regional stability" (Al-Monitor, Jan 3, 2016).
- C.J.WERLEMAN: "The road to hell is paved with 'national security'". Israel is turning the West’s fixation on the Islamic State group into an opportunity to expand its apartheid laws and militarisation of the West Bank (Middle East Eye, Jan 1, 2016).
- Mazal MUALEM: "'Hate wedding' video offers glimpse at Jewish terror" (Al-Monitor, Dec 28, 2015).
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Catastrophe for Syrians and Palestinians alike in war-ravaged country" (The Electronic Intifada, Dec 23, 2015).
- Shlomi ELDAR: "Why the US is part of Middle East problem, not the solution". Interview with Ayman Odeh (Al-Monitor, Dec 14, 2015).
- Philip WEISS: "Obama’s ISIS czar says we can’t defeat extremism without resolving Palestinian issue" (Mondoweiss, Dec 14, 2015).
- Uri SAVIR: "How the Islamic State hurts Palestinian cause" (Al-Monitor, Dec 6, 2015).
- Al Jazeera: "Gaza's crumbling healthcare system" (Yahoo.com, Dec 8, 2015).
- Nurit CANETTI: "The radicalization of Israel" (Al-Monitor, Dec 2, 2015).
- Kate: "Prominent Israeli settler runs over 16-year-old girl, then shoots her dead" (Mondoweiss, Nov 23, 2015).
- Gideon LEVY: "So These Are Israel's New Heroes?" Israel's recent military operations in Palestinian hospitals are a blatant violation of the Geneva Convention, and make you wonder how low the country can sink (Haaretz, Nov 21, 2015).
- Philip WEISS: "The best way for Americans to defeat the Islamic state is to end support for Jewish nationalism" (Mondoweiss, Nov 15, 2015).
- Ahmed MOOR: "The Problem of Palestine is Zionism" (Fair Observer, Nov 11, 2015).
- Miko PELED: "Zionism is racism: Notes from Tel-Rumeida, Hebron, El-Khalil" (American Herald Tribune, Nov 13, 2015).
- Megan HANNA: "‘It Has Become A Prison’: The ghettoization of Hebron" (Mondoweiss, Nov 11, 2015).
- Avigail ABARBANEL: "Netanyahu’s craziness is calculated, to drive out Palestinians" (Mondoweiss, Nov 5, 2015).
- Michel WARSCHAWSKI: "La jeunesse palestinienne à couteaux tirés avec Israël" (Orient XXI, 15 Oct 2015).
- Kamel HAWWASH: "Palestinians have a problem with occupiers not (with) Jews" (MEMO, Oct 30, 2015).