- Glenn GREENWALD & Ryan GRIM: "U.S. Lawmakers Seek to Criminally Outlaw Support for Boycott Campaign Against Israel" (The Intercept, July 19, 2017): click here!
The criminalization of political speech and activism against Israel has become one of the gravest threats to free speech in the West. In France, activists have been arrested and prosecuted for wearing T-shirts advocating a boycott of Israel.
- Ilan LIOR: "New Guideline Permits Israel to Deny Entry to Visitors Over 'BDS Activity'" (Haaretz, July 6, 2017): click here!
Regulation follows the passing of a law this past March that forbids the issuance of a visa or other entry permit to foreign citizens who have called for a boycott of Israel or the settlements.
- "South African Christians denied entry to Palestine & the Holy Land by Israeli regime" (BDS South Africa, June 29, 2017): click here!
An alarming number of South African Christians en-route to Palestine and the Holy Land are increasingly being denied entry by the State of Israel. In particular, South African Christian volunteers, part of the World Council of Churches EAPPI program, are being denied entrance by Israel into Palestine.
- Or KASHTI: "Israeli Education Minister's Ethics Code Would Bar Professors From Expressing Political Opinions" (Haaretz, June 10, 2017): click here!
The code would forbid academic staff from calling for boycotts of Israel, and would prevent institutions from collaborating with political organizations.
- "Danish FM mulls cutting funding to pro-BDS NGOs in Palestinian territory"(Ma'an, May 31, 2017): click here!
The Danish Foreign Ministry has begun to re-examine its funding to Palestinian nonprofits in the occupied territory following pressure from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who urged Danish leaders to cut donations to Palestinian organizations supporting the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions movement and those “inciting” against Israel, Israeli media reported on Wednesday.
- Derek ATTRIDGE: "‘Ban the Boycott’ – An all too familiar refrain"(Mondoweiss, May 5, 2017): click here!
Throughout the month of May, members of the Modern Language Association, the largest professional society of humanities scholars in the United States, will be voting on a resolution which—in contrast to other scholarly associations—seeks to ban the association from endorsing of the Palestinian call for a boycott of Israeli academic institutions.
- Asa WINSTANLEY: "Anti-BDS intelligence chief revealed as Shai Har-Zvi" (EI, April 28, 2017): click here!
A leaked report, endorsed by the Israeli government, has revealed the name of a top official crucial to the fight against the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement. Obtained by The Electronic Intifada, the report lists Shai Har-Zvi as “Director of Intelligence” at the Ministry of Strategic affairs – Israel’s anti-BDS ministry.
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "Leaked report highlights Israel lobby’s failures" (EI, April 28, 2017): click here!
Key Israel lobby groups have conceded that they have failed to counter the Palestine solidarity movement, despite vastly increasing their spending. The admission is contained in a secret report that The Electronic Intifada has obtained.
- Amir TIBON: "All 100 U.S. Senators Demand UN Take Action Against 'anti-Israel Agenda'" (Haaretz, April 28, 2017): click here!
Entire U.S. Senate sign letter demanding new UN chief 'ensure that Israel is treated neither better nor worse than any other UN member in good standing'.
- Asa WINSTANLEY: "BDS is winning, admits top Israeli “sabotage” strategist" (EI, April 21, 2017): click here!
The boycott, divestment and sanctions movement against Israel is winning, a top anti-BDS strategist has conceded. At the “Ambassadors Against BDS” conference in New York last month, former Israeli government advisor Gidi Grinstein said that “in 2016 our community probably invested 20 times … more resources in dealing with this problem compared to what we invested in 2010.”
- "Israel denies head of Palestinian Federation of Chile entry into West Bank" (Ma'an, April 10, 2017): click here!
Israeli authorities reportedly prevented the head of the Palestinian Federation of Chile, Anwar Makhlouf, who holds Chilean citizenship, from entering the country through the King Hussein (Allenby) Bridge border crossing between Jordan and the occupied West Bank on Monday.
- Charlotte SILVER: "US judge throws out key claim against academic boycott of Israel" (EI, April 5, 2017): click here!
Israel and its surrogates suffered a significant defeat last week, when a federal court in Washington, DC, threw out a key claim in a lawsuit against the American Studies Association for its resolution to boycott Israeli academic institutions.
- Jonathan COOK: "Israel steps up dirty tricks against boycott leaders" (Mondoweiss, April 4, 2017): click here!
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed cohorts of Israel loyalists in the United States by video link last week at the annual conference of Aipac, the American-Israel Public Affairs Committee.
- Ramzy BAROUD: "The next phase in the war on BDS: Why Israel detained Omar Barghouti" (Ma'an, March 30, 2017): click here!
The Israeli state has violated international law more than any other country, yet has rarely, if ever, been held accountable for its crimes and misconduct.
- Judy MALTZ: "Jewish Group Releases Blacklist of U.S. Professors Who Back Academic Boycott of Israel" (Haaretz, March 30, 2017): click here!
AMCHA's list, which includes hundreds of names, comes weeks after Israel barred entry to supporters of boycott. 'Knesset travel ban is toothless, unless there are lists,' professor says.
- J"Don’t Punish Protest – Open Letter to the University of Manchester" (BDSUOM, March 27, 2017): click here!
Dear Dame Nancy and Dr Redmond, Two of our students from the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) Movement are facing disciplinary hearings this week (29th March) due to carrying out a banner drop on the Samuel Alexander building which read ‘Stop Arming Israel’.
- Uri BLAU: "Inside the clandestine world of Israel's 'BDS-busting' ministry" (Haaretz, March 26, 2017): click here!
The Strategic Affairs Ministry's leaders see themselves as the heads of a commando unit, gathering and disseminating information about 'supporters of the delegitimization of Israel' – and they prefer their actions be kept secret.
- Richard SILVERSTEIN: "Israel couldn't get the BDS founder on anything else. So they went with taxes" (Middle East Eye, March 22, 2017): click here!
What a clever way to destroy the career of a Palestinian activist. He founded an international movement, BDS, so arresting him for espionage or on a political pretext would invoke the world's wrath on Israel.
- Allison KAPLAN SOMMER: "Israeli BDS Activists Welcome Minister's Threat to Blacklist Them: He Made Our Job Much Easier" (Haaretz, March 22, 2017): click here!
Minister Erdan's plan for a blacklist of BDS supporters has far from dismayed leftist activists. "It's a good sign that we're on the right track," Boycott from Within co-founder says.
- Judy MALZ: "Israel's Travel Ban May Prevent Israel Studies Scholars From Entering the Country" (Haaretz, March 20, 2017): click here!
Association of Israel Studies warns that it will not hold any more conferences in Israel until it's assured all its members will be allowed in the country.
- Colin SHINDLER: "These Academics Fight BDS on Campus Every Day. Will They Be Banned From Israel?" (Haaretz, March 19, 2017): click here!
Israel's law banning entry to settlement boycotters is a form of intellectual harassment and may mark a watershed moment in wider Israel-Diaspora relations.
- Stuart LITTLEWOOD: "Zionists snuff out free speech at UK universities" (Redress Information and Analysis, March 9, 2017): click here!
Who had the impudence to change our values regarding free speech?
Desperation tactics to shut down discussion of the Israeli regime’s mega-crimes reach new heights of absurdity.
- Judy MALTZ: "Israel’s New Travel Ban: A Survival Kit for Activists Stopped at Israel's Airport" (Haaretz, March 8, 2017): click here!
What happens if you've ever signed a petition condemning the Israeli occupation? This is your survival kit for entry into the country at Ben-Gurion airport.
- Haaretz Editorial: "Israel's New Travel Ban: Boycotting the Truth" (Haaretz, March 8, 2017): click here!
The new law plays into the hands of those who seek to destroy Israel and penalizes those who support its existence but oppose the occupation.
- "Knesset passes 'BDS ban' preventing foreign boycott supporters from entering Israel" (Ma'an, March 8, 2017): click here!
Israel’s parliament, the Knesset, passed an amendment into law on Monday evening forbidding entry into Israel and the occupied Palestinian territory to foreigners calling for a boycott of Israel, Israeli media reported.
- Chemi SHALEV: "The New Anti-boycott Law Is anti-Zionist and anti-Jewish" (Haaretz, March 7, 2017): click here!
Frustrated by their failure to annex, right wingers exact a price tag from opponents of Jewish presence in the West Bank.
- Mira SUCHAROV: "Israel's Travel Ban: How Banning Settlement Boycotters Is Driving Me Into the Arms of BDS" (Haaretz, March 7, 2017): click here!
Israel's entry ban on settlement boycotters has left me, and many other anti-occupation Diaspora Jews with deep ties to the Jewish state, bewildered, frustrated and unmoored.
- Jonathan LIS: "Israel's Travel Ban: Knesset Bars Entry to Foreigners Who Call for Boycott of Settlements" (Haaretz, March 7, 2017): click here!
The Knesset gave its final approval Monday evening to a bill that forbids granting entry visas or residency rights to foreign nationals who call for economic, cultural or academic boycotts of either Israel or the settlements.
- "Free speech on Israel under attack in universities - Letter from 243 academics" (The Guardian, 27 Feb, 2017): click here!
"These are outrageous interferences with free expression, and are direct attacks on academic freedom. As academics with positions at UK universities, we wish to express our dismay at this attempt to silence campus discussion about Israel, including its violation of the rights of Palestinians for more than 50 years. It is with disbelief that we witness explicit political interference in university affairs in the interests of Israel under the thin disguise of concern about antisemitism."
- Ben WHITE: "Israeli Apartheid Week: How campus activism is being shut down by false charges of 'anti-Semitism'" (Middle East Eye, 23 Feb, 2017): click here!
Cancellation of Friends of Palestine event followed calls by pro-Israel groups for supporters to bombard universities with complaints.
- Simon HOOPER: "REVEALED: UK universities told to 'manage' Palestine activism" (Middle East Eye, 22 Feb, 2017): click here!
Prevent training package advises that events involving 'vocal support for Palestine' should be 'risk-assessed and managed'.
- Lode VANOOST: "Owen Jones laat zich gebruiken door Britse Israëllobby" (De Wereld Morgen, 22 feb, 2017): click here!
De Britse Israëllobby poogt al jaren de BDS-beweging tegen de bezetting van Palestina en de apartheid in Israël te delegitimeren met beschuldigingen van antisemitisme. De lobby zoekt daarvoor steun bij 'gematigde critici van de bezetting'.
- Asa WINSTANLEY: "How the Israel lobby is using Owen Jones" (The Electronic Intifada, 21 Feb, 2017): click here!
Last week the Jewish Labour Movement announced that Guardian columnist Owen Jones will be the big name speaker at an event the group is holding on 2 April. Jones will lecture on “left anti-Semitism, the Middle East and the Labour Party.”
- Adri NIEUWHOF: "Why I must oppose smears against Israel’s critics in Germany" (The Electronic Intifada, 15 Feb, 2017): click here!
I have to speak out against the smear campaign waged in Germany against Farid Esack, an Islamic studies professor from South Africa. When Israel’s supporters learned that Esack had been given a teaching post at the University of Hamburg, they made baseless allegations of anti-Semitism against him.
- Hilary AKED: "How a London theater became a BDS battleground" (The Electronic Intifada, Feb 6, 2017): click here!
srael’s UK ambassador and his allies in the British government viewed a 2014 row over the sponsorship of a film festival as a key battle against the Palestinian-led boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement, according to documents released under freedom of information rules.
- Haaretz Editorial: "The Minister of Reeducation" (Feb 5, 2017): click here!
The expansion of the 'boycott law' is an attempt to prevent any protest against government policy.
- Jonathan LIS: "Israeli Bill Would Cut Funds to Universities With Lecturers Backing Boycott" (Haaretz, Feb 5, 2017): click here!
The Ministerial Committee for Legislation will decide Sunday whether to support a bill that would let the Council for Higher Education reduce state funding to an academic institution if a lecturer calls for a boycott of Israel.
- Hilary AKED: "Inside the ‘secret’ public-private partnership Israel is using to fight BDS" (Mondoweiss, Feb 1, 2017): click here!
When journalist Marcus Dysch reported on an April 2014 gathering at London’s Hilton Metropole hotel, involving the leaders of pro-Israel organizations from 25 different countries, he called it a “secret” conference. Evidently not a very well-kept secret.
- Jonathan LIS: "Israel Set to Pass Law Banning pro-BDS Foreigners From Entering Country" (Haaretz, Jan 30, 2017): click here!
The Knesset is likely to give final approval Monday evening to a bill that would forbid granting entry visas or residency rights to foreign nationals who call for economic, cultural or academic boycotts of either Israel or the settlements.
- Adri NIEUWHOF: "Blogger who smeared Berlin teacher hero-worships Israeli war criminal" (The Electronic Intifada, 26 Jan, 2017): click here!
A Berlin-based teacher is being pilloried for daring to speak the truth. The Jerusalem Post recently quoted an accusation that the academic Eleonora Roldán Mendívil was an anti-Semite. The newspaper failed, however, to provide any evidence that would support that claim – made by the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a pro-Israel group.
- "Protesters in Antwerp facing trial for organizing Palestine demonstration" (Samidoun, 26 Jan, 2017): click here!
Three demonstrators who participated in a 2014 protest in Antwerp, Belgium against the attack on the Gaza Strip were called before the court in Antwerp on 24 January. They are charged with incitement to racism against the Jewish community in Antwerp, not based on independent findings by the police, but instead on a complaint filed by supporters of Israel.
- Charlotte SILVER: "Israel lobby lawsuits aim to slow boycott in Spain" (The Electronic Intifada, Oct 27, 2016): click here!
In July 2014, at the height of Israel’s bombardment of Gaza, Spain’s RESCOP launched a national campaign targeting local cultural institutions, businesses and associations, asking that they declare themselves “free of Israeli apartheid.” That effort has since grown, in both size and kind. Today, there are more than 50 participating cities and towns across the country.
- Judy MALZ: "Jewish Professors Across America Launching anti-BDS 'University'" (Haaretz, Sept 20, 2016): click here!
Israel and the Academy website, going live at the end of the month, aims to provide more 'nuanced' understanding of Middle East conflict.
- "Israeli university, arms company hold hasbara hackathon in Haifa" (MEMo, Aug 16, 2016): click here!
An Israeli university has hosted a hasbara hackathon, which saw students gather to create ways to improve Israel’s image and undermine the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) campaign. The ‘iHack’ event, held at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, is the latest example of Israeli students and institutions of higher education enlisting themselves in Israel’s global PR offensive.
- "Israel wants to ban pro-boycott activists" (Palestine News Network, Aug 8, 2016): click here!
On Sunday, Israeli Public Security and Strategic Affairs Minister and Israeli Interior Minister agreed, during a meeting, to create a new measure preventing the entry into Israel of foreign activists being part of organisations boycotting Israel.
- "Israel imposes effective travel ban on BDS movement co-founder, steps up anti-BDS repression" (bdsmovement.net, May 10, 2016): click here!
Israel has officially refused to renew the travel document of Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement co-founder Omar Barghouti in a move that amounts to a travel ban and is an escalation of its attacks on Palestinian human rights defenders who nonviolently advocate for Palestinian rights under international law.
- Conference "Stop the Boycott". Jerusalem, 28 March 2016. Org.: Yedioth Ahronoth & YNet. (YNet): click here!
Without knives or missiles but with an explosive payload consisting of outrageous lies – genocide, apartheid and crimes against humanity – the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement is conquering a growing number of strongholds in Europe, the United States and elsewhere. From the campuses of California to the supermarkets of Paris, the academic, economic and cultural boycott is becoming a palpable threat to the international status of the State of Israel.
- "Israel launches electronic war against ‘global boycott movement’" (MEMo, January 29, 2016): click here!
Israel Hayom newspaper reported: "Israel is facing a campaign to de-legitimise it. It penetrates into a certain extent; up to the secretary-general of the United Nations," noting that it is a new battle in its "own stadium: the cyber space".
- "Israeli university heads, politicians, warn of a growing boycott" (MEMo, Jan 21, 2016): click here!
Addressing a special meeting of the Knesset’s Science and Technology Committee, aimed at discussing the impact of the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement on Israeli academia, academics and politicians alike sounded the alarm bells.
- Dan RABINOWITZ: "A Progressive Respons to BDS" (Heinrich Böll Stiftung North America, Dec 8, 2015): click here!
"Reasonably well informed people, averagely sensitive and equipped with an intuitive sense of justice, find it increasingly difficult to remain indifferent to Israel’s conduct. The occupation, now nearing its 50th year, has turned Gaza, and to a lesser extent the West Bank, into de facto detention zones. It humiliates millions of Palestinians, robs them of meaningful citizenship, and violates their human rights on a daily basis.
- "Israel sets up special ministry to tackle BDS" (Middle East Monitor, November 4, 2015): click here!
- Dan RABINOWITZ: "Why the BDS Campaign Can’t Tolerate Israeli Moderates" (Haaretz, November 3, 2015): click here!
"For the BDS campaign’s narrative of Israel as a radically essentialized evil to work, those most amenable to nuance and dialogue – like Israeli academics and my late friend Edward Said - must be the first to be boycotted".
- ""Stop Boycotting Jewish Academics” demands JHRW"(Jewish Human Rights Watch, October 30, 2015): click here!
Starting in April 1933, German academics actively colluded in the dismissal of their own Jewish colleagues, under the Nazi Law for the Re-Establishment of the Professional Civil Service. So did the activists of the National Socialist Students’ League which, long before the Nazis came to power, organised boycotts of, and disturbances in, lectures given by Jewish academics.
- J.K.ROWLING: "Israel needs cultural bridges, not boycotts – letter from JK Rowling, Simon Schama and others" (The Guardian, October 22, 2015): click here!.
- Willy WOLSZTAJN: "BACBI : une campagne indigne, absurde et hypocrite" (Centre Communautaire Laïc Juif, 27 mai, 2015).
Voor het archief klik hier!
- *"Israeli forces detain 11 Palestinians, including 4 minors, in overnight raids" (Ma'an, March 29, 2017).
- Amira HASS: "Israeli Settlers Kill a Sheep in Latest Escalation in Jordan Valley, Palestinians Say" (Haaretz, Feb 18, 2017).
- "Israel aims to ‘Judaize’ historical Bethlehem village" (Middle East Monitor, Jan 13, 2017).
- Nasouh NAZZAL: "Israel’s pesticide war on Gazan farmers" (Gulf News Palestine, Dec 26, 2016).
- Emily MULDER: "Israeli guard: 'Go from this land or I will kill you'" (Al Jazeera, Dec 26, 2016).
- "A six-year-old Palestinian girl killed after being run over by Israeli settler" (Middle East Children Alliance, 2016).
- Gideon LEVY & Alex LEVAC: "In Some of the Israeli Army's Raids, Leaving Empty-handed Is Not an Option" (Haaretz, Aug 27, 2016).
- "Israeli settlers attack Palestinian girl in Ramallah, stab and kill her sheep" (Ma'an, Aug 5, 2016).
- "Un enfant palestinien [de 12 ans] tué par des soldats israéliens" (Libération, 19 juillet 2016).
- Kit O'CONNELL: "Israel Cutting Palestinians Off From Their Own Water Supply" (MintPress News, June 30, 2016).
- "Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian Child Near Ramallah" (IMEMC, June 21, 2016).
- Edo KONRAD: "Tel Aviv mayor says the occupation is a cause of Palestinian terror" (+972, June 9, 2016).
- "After being shot three days ago by IOF, Palestinian youth dies from injuries" (Palestinian Information Center, June 6, 2016).
- Palestine PMO: Israel’s destruction of Palestinian water infrastructure is atrocious (Palestine News Network, May 26, 2016).
- Again, settlers burn Palestinian farms in West Bank (Days of Palestine, May 16, 2016).
- Michal ZAK: "Third intifada, terror wave, the 'situation': Just don't mention the 'O' word to Israelis" (Middle East Eye, March 13, 2016).
- Jon QUEALLY: "Brother and Sister, Children Aged 10 and 6, Killed by Israeli Bombing in Gaza" (Common Dreams, March 13, 2016).
- Jonathan COOK: "Aid subversion report makes for shocking reading" (The National, March 7, 2016).
- "Palestijns meisje van 13 geëxecuteerd" (alexandrina.nl, 23 jan, 2016).
- "UN decries Abu Nuwar demolitions, calls for immediate end to planned transfers" (Medical Aid for Palestinians, MAP, Jan 20, 2016).
- Julie PUTSEYS: "Palestijnse empowerment op Israëlische scholen." Geen gelijke kansen zonder evenwaardig onderwijs. Zo denkt de Arabisch-Israëlische professor Dalia Fadila er alleszins over. (MO*, 10 Jan 2016).
- Uri SAVIR: "Why solving Israel-Palestine conflict is still key for regional stability" (Al-Monitor, Jan 3, 2016).
- C.J.WERLEMAN: "The road to hell is paved with 'national security'". Israel is turning the West’s fixation on the Islamic State group into an opportunity to expand its apartheid laws and militarisation of the West Bank (Middle East Eye, Jan 1, 2016).
- Mazal MUALEM: "'Hate wedding' video offers glimpse at Jewish terror" (Al-Monitor, Dec 28, 2015).
- Maureen Clare MURPHY: "Catastrophe for Syrians and Palestinians alike in war-ravaged country" (The Electronic Intifada, Dec 23, 2015).
- Shlomi ELDAR: "Why the US is part of Middle East problem, not the solution". Interview with Ayman Odeh (Al-Monitor, Dec 14, 2015).
- Philip WEISS: "Obama’s ISIS czar says we can’t defeat extremism without resolving Palestinian issue" (Mondoweiss, Dec 14, 2015).
- Uri SAVIR: "How the Islamic State hurts Palestinian cause" (Al-Monitor, Dec 6, 2015).
- Al Jazeera: "Gaza's crumbling healthcare system" (Yahoo.com, Dec 8, 2015).
- Nurit CANETTI: "The radicalization of Israel" (Al-Monitor, Dec 2, 2015).
- Kate: "Prominent Israeli settler runs over 16-year-old girl, then shoots her dead" (Mondoweiss, Nov 23, 2015).
- Gideon LEVY: "So These Are Israel's New Heroes?" Israel's recent military operations in Palestinian hospitals are a blatant violation of the Geneva Convention, and make you wonder how low the country can sink (Haaretz, Nov 21, 2015).
- Philip WEISS: "The best way for Americans to defeat the Islamic state is to end support for Jewish nationalism" (Mondoweiss, Nov 15, 2015).
- Ahmed MOOR: "The Problem of Palestine is Zionism" (Fair Observer, Nov 11, 2015).
- Miko PELED: "Zionism is racism: Notes from Tel-Rumeida, Hebron, El-Khalil" (American Herald Tribune, Nov 13, 2015).
- Megan HANNA: "‘It Has Become A Prison’: The ghettoization of Hebron" (Mondoweiss, Nov 11, 2015).
- Avigail ABARBANEL: "Netanyahu’s craziness is calculated, to drive out Palestinians" (Mondoweiss, Nov 5, 2015).
- Michel WARSCHAWSKI: "La jeunesse palestinienne à couteaux tirés avec Israël" (Orient XXI, 15 Oct 2015).
- Kamel HAWWASH: "Palestinians have a problem with occupiers not (with) Jews" (MEMO, Oct 30, 2015).
- "Palestijnse baby vermoord met traangas" (Alexandrina, Oct 31, 2015).
- Ali ABUNIMAH: "Israel’s executions of Palestinian teens must end, Amnesty says" (The Electronic Intifada, Oct 28, 2015).
- Killian REDDEN: "Hebron at eye of the storm as death toll rises" (Ma'an News Agency, Oct 26, 2015).
- "Netanyahu Shamelessly Exploits the Shoah to Stoke Fear of Palestinians" (Jewish Voice for Peace, Oct 21, 2015).
- Amos GVIRTZ: "From Unilateral- to Bilateral War - or: How the Palestinians Fight to Prevent Being Expelled From the Country" (Occupation Magazine, Oct 20, 2015).
- Noam SHEIZAF: "Jerusalem, in context" (+972, October 19, 2015). "The current events in Jerusalem have a political history and context. Attempts to attribute the violence to some kind of Palestinian pathology while ignoring other factors is a recipe for making things worse."
- Meron RAPOPORT: "The paradox of Jerusalem" (Middle East Eye, October 17, 2015).